This past weekend was, in a word, perfect. Alas, it is Monday but I am still reveling in the birthday party we had for my dad, the wonderful picnic and baptism event we had at church and the gloriously relaxed afternoon TK and I had together yesterday.
And I tried a new recipe! I found this recipe on The Fresh Market’s website. It was really good and we have plenty of leftovers for a lazy dinner tonight after my city council meeting.
There was quite a bit of prep for this, so dinner was ready a little later than I anticipated. I had to boil and shred three chicken breasts, cook the wild rice, chop the onion, green pepper and red pepper and measure the cheese. That took a good 25-30 minutes before I could get into anything else.
I’ll be honest, the thing that attracted me to this recipe were the lemons! I love lemon/chicken combos, and it made it so pretty (I love colorful meals!).
Once the prep was done it was easy to put together. Basically mix the chicken, rice, cheese and soup and then saute the peppers and onions before mixing it all together and topping with lemons!
Then just top with some fresh-ground pepper, throw some tin foil over it and bake at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes! Like I said, once you get past the prep it’s easy (and delicious).
Cheesy chicken casserole (adapted from The Fresh Market’s Chandler’s Chicken and Rice)
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast, shredded
- 1 6-ounce box wild rice mix, cooked (leave out the seasoning packet – I wish I had)
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell peppers
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 lemons, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix chicken, rice, cheese and soup in 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Saute onions and peppers in butter. Mix in with other ingredients in casserole dish.
- Top with a layer of sliced lemons and fresh-ground pepper.
- Cover with foil and bake 20-25 minutes until cooked thoroughly.