Like I said earlier this week, TK and I had a great first Christmas together. We had dinner on Christmas day with my parents, so I cooked a fancy meal for the two of us on Christmas Eve. I got the recipe for my hens with rice stuffing from this website, but I changed it quite a bit for my taste. We also had roasted okra which was a big hit. Yay veggies!
- 3 TBSP butter
- 1 TBSP slivered almonds
- 1 TBSP chopped onion
- 1 TBSP chopped mushrooms
- 1 TBSP chopped celery
- 1/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 cup water
- 2 Cornish game hens
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- Thyme, rosemary and salt to taste
- Melt 3 TBSP butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in almonds, onion, mushrooms, celery and rice. Saute 5 to 10 minutes.
- Mix in water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender (about 45 minutes for me).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Season Cornish hens inside and out with spices and stuff with rice mixture. Place hens breast side up in a rack in a baking pan. Brush with melted butter.
- Cover the baking pan with tin foil and cook hens 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue cooking for 1 hour (or until the hens are no longer pink).